Thursday, February 4, 2016

From Mom’s Diary… 1942 Bought the Farm


From Mom’s Diary… 1942 Bought the Farm
 

In spring of 1942, I was approaching my 3rd birthday. We lived on a rented farm on the county line between Carroll and Greene County, north east of Coon Rapids, Iowa. But, that was about to change…

I’ll post occasional interesting tidbits.


This is one of the posts I wanted to find…

Thursday, February 5, 1942:

Was cleaning the house when Ensey came.
Cleaned up & went in to Mom’s for dinner.
Went to Carroll with Tome in P.M.
Bought the Farm.
Quite an undertaking.
Had a lunch and came home. Real foggy. Got Billy.
Chores, ate, did dishes, read and went to bed.
[All in one paragraph. I separated them, for my emphasis.]

My comments:

She had only mentioned ‘looking at land to buy’ a couple of times over the past couple of months, but nothing specific about finding anything. Then, out the blue… they did it.

For ‘quite an undertaking’ it was very low-key in her diary… but, wasn’t everything?!?!?  ;-)

I have these two photo of the farm, taken a few years later. I just have the black and white image. Jim had the color image, framed, on his wall, many years ago, last I knew of it. This is where we were raised…



Families are Forever! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment