Saturday, October 17, 2015

My first years… from Eileen's Diary - Highlights of April (1st part), 1941


My first years…  
from Eileen's Diary
Highlights of April (1st part), 1941 
 
 These are highlights from the diary of my mother, twenty-one year old Eileen KINNICK SMITH, 75 Years Ago. She kept a diary from 1932 as a freshman in high school until she left us, too early, in 1999.

[Rather than posting each mundane entry, I've chosen items of interest to me, as I knew my family (or didn't). Also, significant events Mom noted, as seen by me, looking back. Comments at the end.]
 

Month of April (1st part) highlights:

Wed. Apr. 2 - Up in good time. Did sep, took Billy to Norma’s. Took Ruth B., Marg B., Eunice to Achievement Day at Carroll with me. Shopped at Noon. Ate at Meth. Church. Saw Clayburg’s. Rained all way home. Norma said Billy slept from 1 - 5 pm. Glad of it. Really tired. Did dishes, soaked clothes, ate, went to bed. Came to wire this morning.
Thurs. Apr. 3 - Up early. Boiled all my wash. By hand. Ed here wiring again.
Sat. Apr. 5 - Made butterscotch cookies. Lyle & Howard sheered sheep. They were here for dinner.
Wed. Apr. 9 - Bussy & Mom came out again. Willard & E wiring in house again. Finished most of it in here. Bussy feels lots better. He took a nap in P.M.
Thurs. Apr. 10 - Willard & Ed Parker came to finish wiring. Billy & I went to Club at Ruth Grim’s. Mom & Buss out here. Dad comet for supper.
Sun. Apr. 13 {Easter} - Nice day but windy. Went to church. Sang in choir. They had a nice program. Folks to Leo’s so we went in there & got dinner. Fried ham, got some ice cream. Came home early. Hung pictures. Folks stopped. Went down to Rasmuses to get Buss. Chores, went to show. Left Billy with folks. “Second Chorus.”


My comments:

Hard to remember they didn’t yet have electricity. Wiring going in. Lines yet to arrive at the farm.

Enjoy seeing the events in which she participated!!

Sheering sheep - we didn’t have any sheep in later years… (just a few years later)




Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment