Saturday, July 11, 2015

My first years… from Eileen's Diary - Highlights of May, 1940


My first years…  
from Eileen's Diary
Highlights of May, 1940


These are highlights from the diary of my mother, twenty-one year old Eileen KINNICK SMITH, 75 Years Ago. She kept a diary from 1932 as a freshman in high school until she left us, too early, in 1999.

[Rather than posting each mundane entry, I've chosen items of interest to me, as I knew my family (or didn't). Also, significant events Mom noted, as seen by me, looking back. Comments at the end.]

1940 U.S. Census, I'm the bottom line, above


Month of May highlights:

Thurs. May 2 - Pete plowing on 80. Another sheep had a set of twins. Census taker here in morning.
Tues. May 7 - Rained. Howard Patrick papered kitchen. … Hal Stewart Fireman’s dance. Had the keenest time ever.
Thurs. May 9 - Got ready to go to  Club Luncheon at Mrs. Wheelers. The had a nice dinner. Sat by Mrs. Krenmyre & Julia. All were there except Lou Schultz. They bro’t my new refrigerator when I got home.
Sun. May 19 - Orrin woke us at 5:00. They have a new little girl. Judith Ann. Born at 3:30.
Wed. May 22 - Cleaned up & went to Workers Conf. at Ruth Grim’s. Laura, Lula, Rhoda, Hazel, Gurtha, Agnes, Josephine & the kids were there.
Tues. May 28 - Billy cut 7th tooth.
Wed.  May 29 - Mrs. Moylan so bad we couldn’t see her. [At Carroll, at hospital]

My comments:

Got included in 1940 U. S. Census, for sure!!
“keenest time ever” - she was still only 21 years old… ;-)
Assume this is the same refrigerator we grew up with!! ;-)
Judi Hilgenberg born!!! ;-)


Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment